January 1, 2021
Please read the updated return to play protocols here.
August 15, 2020
June 1, 2020
The following letter was sent to all Southeast families as of May 20th, 2020:
Southeast Soccer Club is officially announcing the cancellation of our 2020 summer season. We realize this may be a major disappointment for many and, ultimately, the safety of our families comes first. We are confident that Southeast will emerge stronger than ever with the correct steps now. Here’s what happens next:
· The Board of Directors has voted to refund as much money as possible to all of our members for this Summer season. Some of your registration fee have been spent on winter training and operating expenses, but outside of that, you will see a refund to your bank or credit card in the next 2-4 weeks. See FAQ for more details.
· Please consider donating some or all of your 2020 registration to the Southeast Soccer Club as we seek to keep our club operating to ensure that when it is safe to play again the club is ready to support the continued development of its players and coaches. While we believe that refunding all of our members is the best course of action, we also need your help. As a reminder, we are a 501c3, so all donations are tax-deductible! If you are able to, please consider donating to Southeast Soccer Club by clicking HERE.
Our decision comes in the wake of Minnesota slowly beginning to reopen as well as with approval sought from the Governor for the recently released MYSA “return to play” guidelines. While we view these as encouraging signs, the guidelines have not yet been approved as of May 18 and they may prove to be too restrictive to have a season either way. We also recently learned that MPRB will not be permitting their fields for practices or games until July 1st at the earliest, and this presents a huge challenge to having adequate facilities to support our programs in a safe fashion.
This was an incredibly difficult decision as we all want to be out and playing the beautiful game with our community. However, after discussions with Minnesota Youth Soccer Association, Minneapolis Park and Rec, the MN State Referee Committee, and other local leaders, as well as internal discussions with coaches, managers, and families, we have decided that the health and safety risks outweigh the benefits.
Southeast Soccer Club
PS - Naturally, there will be a lot of questions that come with this decision from each team and family, so we have created an FAQ document to best address questions and concerns. Of course, we would also like to hear from you as well. All questions and concerns can be directed to our Executive Director Adam Pribyl at email@example.com.
What will happen to the registration fees we paid for the 2020 summer season?
Southeast will be issuing a refund to all registrants, minus $75 for winter training costs and operating expenses.
What if I had a payment plan for my registration fees?
Southeast will cancel the remaining payments. We will work individually with those families on appropriate amounts to refund.
What about the uniforms we purchased?
Uniforms are purchased through Planet Soccer, and you should have received an email to come pick up your uniform, or it has been shipped to you already. These uniforms we will be using for the next 2-3 years, so please get your uniforms! Please note that uniforms are non-refundable.
Further questions should be directed to our Club Coordinator Claudia Motl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What can we expect from Southeast Soccer in the moving forward?
Right now, we have an excellent at home soccer workout program provided by our Director of Coaching Derric Johnson. You can find all of the workouts HERE.
In July we are planning to have some fun camps and clinics if deemed safe to do so.
We will begin preparation for Fall 2020 season and Spring/Summer 2021 right away, as well as various other programming.
What can we do to help?
Southeast Soccer Club is only as strong as our member families, coaches, and managers.
Every dollar helps! If you are able, please consider donating all or a portion of your registration fees back to the club. In order to continue to serve the community, we need your support during this time. We are refunding 70% of our operating budget, so every dollar truly does matter for the vitality of our club. Did we mention that all donations are tax-deductible?
We are going to shift our priorities as a club to planning for the future as best we can. We can all begin working on Fall 2020 and beyond. It is never too early to communicate with your current team, start recruiting a few more families, or even start a new team! Reach out to any of the club staff if you have any questions. Contact Us.
1) Our "north star" is the safety and well-being of all of our families.
2) We are continuing to follow the direction of the state of Minnesota and Governor Tim Walz, as well as our state governing body Minnesota Youth Soccer Association. We are also factoring in the effect state policies have on municipalities that we utilize such as the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board and Minneapolis Public Schools.
3) As a result, MYSA has communicated that our season will return to play on June 1. Please click here for more information and timelines: https://www.mnyouthsoccer.org/page/show/5698047-covid-19-updates
This is just the plan for right now. It does not mean that we will actually begin playing on June 7, as MYSA has stated that we will not play if it is not safe. Although this is only a projected return-to-play date, we need to prepare to play until they make the official call to cancel.
4) In the event the season is canceled, we are finalizing a multi-option plan that will include retention of a certain portion of registration fees to cover winter training and administrative costs, which are both included in your spring registrations fees. We will be sending a survey shortly to all members with various options that they may choose from. Finally, please note that the payment plans that were deferred to May 1 have been deferred again to June 1.
As always, please feel free to communicate any questions or concerns with me directly. We are doing everything we can to navigate these uncertain times, and in light of that, I appreciate all of your patience and grace. I am confident that Southeast and all of our families can emerge from this stronger than before.
1. Stay at home orders have been extended through May 4th. So there are for sure no soccer activities through that date.
2. At this time, we are still following the lead of MYSA. They have communicated as of April 3 that we may still have a season. You can see their updated timeline here: https://www.mnyouthsoccer.org/page/show/5698047-covid-19-updates
3. MPRB has canceled many events and facilities, putting our practice and game spaces in jeopardy. We are working closely with the MPRB, as the will be permitting to us at some point this summer. Right now they said we can get on MPRB fields as of June 1, which follows the MYSA timeline stated above.
In summary: We are still in a holding pattern. As soon as we know more about what our season will look like, or if we are canceling the summer season, we will communicate it immediately.
Please know two very important things: 1) The safety our of families is of the utmost importance, and 2) We will find a solution for season fees if it comes to that.